ABOUT THE BOOKSo okay, I’m a monster.
But look what I have to deal with–my brother is a frightened little freak, my father is selfish and ill-tempered, my mother is an ignorant doormat and my friends are just plain irritating. And I’m in a prison surrounded by them all, with nowhere to escape.
People insist on seeing the worst in me. So, I show them the worst.
But one day, something happens … and suddenly I see what these relationships and people (however annoying) mean to me. I’ve been a monster for such a long time now, I’ve almost forgotten what it’s like to be human.
What if it’s too late?
- A rare young adult novel with a disabled protagonist.
- The narrator is a complex character, the author making a brave choice of making her unlikeable.
- A story about a character with a disability rather than being about her disability.
- The absence of a forced romance angle is a welcome change for a YA novel.
- Some insight into the protagonist’s struggles with disability might have not gone amiss.
The usual story of the angry, rebellious teenager, but with a twist.