THE HINDU YOUNG WORLD-GOODBOOKS AWARDS 2019
The Hindu and Goodbooks announce The Hindu Young World-Goodbooks Awards 2019 for Indian children’s books. The purpose of these awards is to promote excellence in children’s writing and illustration in India and to acknowledge innovative publishing trends. The awards are the first in India to recognize different genres in children’s publishing and to reward authors and illustrators for their invaluable contribution.
The awards, which are being given for the fourth consecutive year, will be presented at The Hindu Lit for Life festival in Chennai in January 2019.
The awards will be given in four categories:
- The Hindu Young World-Goodbooks Award for Best Picture Book – Story
- The Hindu Young World-Goodbooks Award for Best Picture Book – Illustration
- The Hindu Young World-Goodbooks Award for Best Book – Fiction
- The Hindu Young World-Goodbooks Award for Best Book – Non-Fiction
Criteria for Submission
- Books published between January 1, 2017 and July 31, 2018 are eligible.
- For the writing awards, translations, adaptations, anthologies by multiple writers, poetry books, activity books and comics are not eligible. An anthology by a single writer is eligible. For the illustration award, translated picture books are eligible, but activity books and comics are not.
- Books should reach us on or before September 15, 2018 along with the duly filled nomination form. Books that were considered for the 2017 awards are not eligible. Nomination forms have to be downloaded from the Goodbooks website, www.goodbooks.in.
- Publishers can nominate a maximum of three books for each category. All submissions must reach us by September 15, 2018.
- Publishers must send four copies of each book that they would like us to consider. If we do not receive the right number of copies of the books being nominated, they will not be considered.
- Only works of living persons will be considered for the awards in all categories.
- Only Indian publishers are eligible to send their books for the awards. Books published by international publishers under their Indian imprint are also eligible.
- The nationality of the author/illustrator does not matter as long as the book is an original edition published by an Indian publisher or the Indian imprint of an international publisher – not a reprinted Indian edition.
- Self-published books and digitally published books will not be considered for the awards.
- The jury will announce a shortlist by November 15, 2018 and the winners will be announced as part of The Hindu Lit for Life festival in January 2019.
- The jury will comprise an independent panel of experts, who will select books entirely on merit. Goodbooks and The Hindu Young World will take no part in the jury’s deliberations, except to help determine the eligibility of a submission in conjunction with the guidelines.
- All books being sent for the awards should be marked The Hindu Young World Goodbooks Awards and mailed along with the printed nomination form to the following address:
SR ASSOCIATE EDITOR
YOUNG WORLD EDITORIAL
859 ANNA SALAI
- The jury’s decision will be final in all matters related to the awards.
For more information on the awards, mail firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com