ABOUT THE BOOKSThis is a series of four books about health and hygiene: The Supergirls Play a Trick, The Supergirls Make a Difference, The Supergirls Lead the Way and The Supergirls Find a Solution. Each book, aimed at slightly different age-groups, comprises stories and poems featuring various girl protagonists. Young readers learn about taking care of their bodies, the basics of personal hygiene, how to keep water safe and clean, and so on. The books are meant to be used in schools and in spaces where health education is being taught. A Teachers’ Handbook is included in the set for teachers and health assistants to help promote sanitation and hygiene through activities and discussions.
- Each of the four books are broken up into bite-sized stories, poems and infographics about health and sanitation. Young and middle readers are especially likely to enjoy the vibrant artwork in the books.
- With a mix of target age-groups, type of stories, and range of hygiene-related subjects, this set of books is great to start discussions about the subject of health and cleanliness with young people.
- The teachers’ guide is a valuable addition, helping adults to direct the actions that children can take in understanding and applying the concepts discussed in the books.
- However, there are several editorial and proofreading errors in the books and the teachers’ guide. Some of the stories are simplistic and didactic, and some lack lucidity. Two of the books don’t have a table of contents. All this mars books which are otherwise very well-produced.
- Some sections (“Monsters on My Fingertips”, the two-pit toilet, “Ta-Daa! Activities”, “The Teeny-Weenie Meanies”, etc.) are repeated across books.