ABOUT THE BOOKHave you met the world’s naughtiest bear? Travel to his high mountain home in Bhutan and join him in his naughty and funny adventures.
- A Very Naughty Bear is a set of three short adventure stories about a Himalayan Black Bear called Bhabloo. Bhabloo is born with a slightly twisted paw, and his mother worries about him. But he is also a very clever bear, and is always thinking up new ways to get what he wants. In one story, Bhabloo tries to climb a very tall tree; in another, he goes hunting for a quick pre-hibernation snack; in a third, he steals apples from the village orchard for all his bear friends.
- The stories themselves are tender and funny. The bear’s mischief is sure to entertain young readers, while his loving relationship with Mama Bear, and his friendship with the village elder Kunzang draw attention to the joy and value of compassion. Bhabloo is an affectionate and endearing character with gentle, childlike impulses (he likes to eat, sleep, play and ask questions) and young readers will definitely relate to him easily.
- There is a good mix of humour, fantasy, and seriousness in the stories. They are fun, but also touch upon the rather heavy issue of man-animal conflict, and give young readers a sense of what life is like in areas where human beings share space with wildlife.
- The book has an appealing, heart-warming cover, which will tempt readers to pick it up and read it.
- The illustrations inside could have been a lot more interesting though. While they capture the general cheerful mood of the stories, they do not necessarily add to the experience of the book.