ABOUT THE BOOK
Superhero action carved on rocks… A headless statue… Royal inscriptions on pillars and copper plates… Glass fragments from a lost city… These may sound like clips from a fantasy thriller, but are in fact objects unearthed at archaeological sites across the country–and the stories they throw up are just as exciting!
This visually vibrant book has an interdisciplinary approach that goes beyond conventional subject boundaries. Showing the interconnectedness of ideas, events and issues, and cross-cultural influences–all based on archaeological findings–it encourages a more critical and holistic understanding of India’s multi-hued history.
- A mélange of interesting facts, illustrations, maps, photographs and stories that journeys from the Stone Age to the present.
- The purported scope and breadth of this work is ambitious and immense, with the author proving more than equipped for the task.
- Delightful archaeological vignettes from around the world parallel the Indian archaeological landscape.
- The book is a visual masterpiece, with photographs and artwork juxtaposed imaginatively with the text.
- The sheer chronological range covered inevitably results in certain periods of history being glossed over.
- While a clear attempt to integrate women has been made, some stereotypical depictions still remain.
A very important work that will be of great interest to young readers and to those who seek to acquaint themselves with popular archaeological history, written in an eminently accessible style.